Followers

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman

      I just started the book "Andromeda Klein" by Frank Portman. It's hard to follow in the beginning and I had to keep re reading parts I didn't understand, but basically Andromeda Klein is about an unattractive girl in high school who's life is so muddled that she turns to "occultism" and tarot card readings for salvation.
     It annoys me a little how in the beginning of the book the author makes it really obvious that she's an outcast, and that she's "different" from everyone else in her high school and town altogether. I think this isn't necessary, that the reader should be able to obtain this from reading the book. The characters I identify most with myself are characters that aren't over described, because it makes them seem fake. Harry Potter's persona isn't thrown into the reader's face right away, but by the end of all 7 books you feel like he could be a real person.
      But on the other hand I really like the world Frank Portman sets up in the first chapter, and how easily someone could get obsessed with something magical or out of the ordinary when reality becomes too hard to deal with. I'm excited to keep reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment